This is a perfect example of how excess weight shows up EVERYWHERE...even the feet!
Summer of 2009....I start wearing super cute flip-flops. Boy, are they evil...like the devil himself in shoe form. Prior to this, I had worn crocs....yes, the ugly (but oh-so-comfy) plastic shoe. They are nice for my feet. Flip-flops are out to get me, I'm convinced.
Anyway...by Sept. 2009, my right foot had started to hurt. During the fall and winter, the pain got worse and worse. At some point in the spring, my left foot started hurting too. I saw my general doctor who said it was PF (plantar fasciitis) and to get orthodics (even if they were over-the-counter). I tried them, but never saw any relief. By Sept. 2010 (I avoided flip-flops summer 2010), I could barely walk. I finally gave in and saw the podiatrist. He confirmed it was PF and gave me a cortisone shot in my right foot, and the pain went away. At my follow-up appointment, I asked for the shot in my left foot. The pain went away. For a few weeks, I was pain free. I almost cried tears of joy.
I don't know what happened...but all of a sudden, my left foot started hurting again...but this time it was in a different spot. I stretched, and iced it and it just kept hurting. It was almost worse than when I had first gone to him. Well, I went back and he said it was an Achilles problem and cortisone shots were not recommended. He gave me some new stretches and told me to get the prescription orthodics.
After several weeks, I got them...and they hurt my feet (which I'm told is normal at first). I decided to get new New Balance shoes which were recommend by the podiatrist. I went to the New Balance store and had them measure my feet. I was told size 8 (for the last 10 years, I've consistently worn a size 9-9.5). The salesguy said I was getting longer shoes to accommodate my wide foot, but that I really only measure an 8. Well, I tried the 8EE, and they fit, but was rubbing on the side of my big toe. I tried on a million shoes and finally decided on the size 8EEEE (YES....quadruple E). I didn't even know they made shoes that wide. I probably could have gotten the 8.5EE and been ok...but the price was the same.
While I don't think my feet look fat....obviously they are. Admittedly, even if I was thin, I'd probably have wide feet. I naturally have a high arch and instep....but I think the excess weight added to my already wide foot causing me to get EEEE!
No comments:
Post a Comment