Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Weight Loss Surgeries...have I thought about them?

Have I ever thought about weight loss surgery? Yes!

I'll admit it...a few hours under the knife...and boom...the fat just melts away. An acquaintance had the gastric bypass done in September and has already lost 50lbs. Results like that are tempting.

Back in 2004, we had decided to try to get pregnant again. Before I did, I wanted to consult with a high risk specialist due to my history with the PE (pulmonary embolisms). The first doctor I saw (who was amazingly AWFUL) mentioned gastric bypass. He said that if I were to get pregnant again, I would die (leaving my 2 year old son motherless). I weighed too much to risk getting pregnant..and it would be against his oath as a doctor to give ok to get pregnant, especially if it meant using fertility drugs to do so. He said that I shouldn't wait...get the surgery.

Well, I talked to my regular doctor about it a little. She gave me some info that I read through and I read about it online. I decided that it was absolutely not for me. My kids are too little, and I have a history of blood clots. I could not risk weight loss surgery that drastic at this point (especially since I had never seriously attempted to lose weight on my own).

Since then, the lap band system has grown in popularity. I think if I were to go through with some type of weight loss surgery..this would be a better option for me. However, at this point...I really want to see if I can be successful on my own. I think there are too many risks involved, and if I don't work my @ss off working my @ss off...then it wont last and wont mean as much to me.

One additional goal through my weight loss attempt is to be a role model for my kids. Not just about making healthy eating choices, but about overcoming your fears, overcoming personal challenges. My children are not overweight (as a matter of fact, my older son is underweight..and at age 8 is finally catching up to "normal")....he will probably never struggle with his weight. However, I think it's important for them to see that their parents have this personal challenge. They are old enough to realize that their parents are fat. I think it will be incredible for them to see us work very hard to accomplish something that is important to us. Hopefully, they can apply this to aspects in their life they struggle with. Maybe not now...but maybe as adults they can look back and say, "Hey...mom and dad did that, then I can do this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment