Well, there's a terribly long (and boring) history about me. Let's see if I can sum it up:
Previously (2004) diagnosed with PCOS (it's a metabolic syndrome that affects hormones and can cause infertility and a whole slew of other problems). At that time was told I was IR (insulin resistance). PCOS and IR are considered pre-diabetic conditions. This basically means that it is inevitable that I will get type II diabetes unless I change my weight. (so, yes...you did read that correctly...for 6 years, I have KNOWN that I will become diabetic and didn't do anything to alter that). The treatment for PCOS is metformin (which is a drug given to IR and diabetics to help with glucose levels). Well, it worked a little...but not enough. It made me feel yucky (read about metformin online...it's evil, I'm convinced). I later found out that cells can actually build up resistance to metformin (not sure if this is correct, but my regular doctor told me this).
For the last several years, I have put my head in the sand about PCOS, IR, diabetes and just didn't care. No treatment...nothing. Well, for reasons that I won't go into here....I went to a doctor whose expertise is PCOS. I thought that it was about time I try working on this problem. Well, she wanted me to have a bunch of blood tests. She said she wasn't sure if I really had PCOS (blah, blah, blah)....anyway...this dr. visit resulted in a complete metabolic panel of blood tests, a 2 hour glucose tolerance test, a1c, and some other stuff.
This doctor went on her bandwagon about weight loss. I had been lucky enough in the past to have doctors sort-of just let it go. They'd have the attitude like, "Well, it would be healthier for you to lose weight, but not necessary". I wanted to get pregnant, and they just gave me meds to get me pregnant. I had foot pain, and the doc gave me a cortisone shot. I ignored borderline high blood pressure. However, this doc....she was different.
I'm not sure I remember all of what she said to me....but she seemed to get me. This was the first time I had ever met her...and yet...she had me all figured out. The gist of what she said went like this:
I can tell...you're a go-getter. You've probably never failed at anything you've ever done. Why let this be the first?
There is was....the DARE! She was daring me. For the first time, I felt somewhat motivated. I thought, well...she's right. I tend to be successful at most things I do (sports are a big exception to this). I wonder what results I'd have if I actually TRIED!
Well, I ended up going for the blood tests a few days later, and she called me within a couple hours with some bad news. I had failed my glucose tolerance test. I knew I wasn't going to have great results, because I already knew I was IR...but she said that I failed it to the point of putting me in the diabetic range (I later found out...I missed IR by 4 points). Well....there it was.....the seeds of motivation got a huge douse of fertilization.
As a side note...an interesting thing the dr. said to me when she called with the fertilization. She chuckled and said, "You went from the most non-compliant patient ever, to having everything done in record time". I'm not sure what I said during the visit that made her think I was non-compliant (probably a lot of things), but when I was retelling this story to Trev, he laughed and said..."well she doesn't know you. It's always black or white." I don't like to window shop, I HATE looking at cars (unless I'm ready to buy one that day), I may take awhile to make up my mind about doing something...but once the decision is made....it's DONE! Action occurs immediately! lol! As another side note, in regards to things like this..yes...I am black or white. But in philosophical debates, politics, religion, and almost anything else....I'm the opposite. Everything is gray.
No comments:
Post a Comment