I found out that I failed my glucose test the Friday before Thanksgiving. We were leaving in 2 days to go to Colorado for the holiday. I knew my sis-in-law would make Puppy Chow (for those of you who don't know....it's not dog food...and if you're trying to diet...it SUCKS... For the rest of you....OMG! It's delicious and amazing and impossible to resist.), and there's the stuffing, gravy, and something that was a rice krispie treat and peanut butter, butterscotch, chocolate thing...and pumpkin pie (I swear that should be healthy...it's pumpkin!). Anyway....what was I to do?
Well, I had one very small slice of pumpkin pie (no whipped cream), and I had about 1/4 c. Puppy Chow (twice) during the whole week we were there. Oh yeah, I'll fess up....I ate the stuffing to my hearts content (sort of a good-bye fling type thing).
Then we come home. I had previously gotten into the habit of McDonald's before work. I work late on Tuesdays, so I eat a larger lunch to get me through until I get home at 8pm for dinner. That larger lunch consisted of (and I can't believe I'm going to admit this) a McChicken Sandwhich (on occasion, two) with two apple pies (hard to resist 2/$1). Oh...and a large diet coke (for a buck!). I can't even say that the chicken sandwiches are all that good...but it became a habit. I started to look forward to it. Well, I really struggled that first Tuesday back (my first day back to work after a long break, other stuff going on that caused stress in my life....it would make me happy). I SOOOO wanted to go there and just put off being good another day (what's another day, right?). Well, I am proud to say...I resisted. I haven't had McDonald's since I found out my test results. Other than that bit of Puppy Chow and pumpkin pie (oh..and a small slice of tiramisu cake at a birthday party)...I have had 0 (yes, you read it correctly...zero) desserts/refined sugar (I'm not counting sugar in fruit and stuff like that). Now...that may not sound like an accomplishment for some...but for me.....it is.
I can honestly say...that the longer I resist the bad stuff...the easier is seems to be. Here are the things I've resisted:
taking leftovers of the tiramisu cake (there was a ton, and I really really really wanted it)
tons of puppy chow that I could have eaten
caramel apple pie that my dad bought
donuts that he bought too (thanks dad for the support)
all the St. Nick's day candy that my kids got (thanks St. Nick for the support)
numerous trips to fast food of all sorts (did get Wendy's once, but got the Baja salad with no guac, no sour cream and used very little dressing. Gave the chips to my kids).
I can certainly say that I'm not perfect...but I'm really trying (and at the moment, decently successful) to make healthier choices. I'm trying to eliminate dessert and refined sugar from my diet, eat smaller portions, and just make overall better choices....less carbs (by no means and I willing to give them up completely) and when I do, "better" carbs. More whole grains.
I have found...that certain foods are sweeter than you think. Because I haven't eaten lots of sweet things recently...I've found that bananas are amazingly sweet. I was home alone and saw some tiny chocolate santas and thought, I could eat just one and it wouldn't be a big deal...however, I thought about how it was time for my mid-morning snack and I had some good bananas in the kitchen. I jumped up excitedly and got one. I was actually happy to be eating it (and for those of you who know me...I used to hate bananas).
So, it hasn't been that long....but I still feel motivated.
No comments:
Post a Comment